[TowerTalk] Hardline & crank up tower?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Hardline & crank up tower?
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 09:49:16 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-05-14 09:10:49 EDT, pramey@smtplink.ram.com writes:

>  As you know hard-line is not made to be bent or moved a lot.  I would
>       use hard line to the tower and up to the 1st level where the tower is

>       nested.  I would then use a 9913 type the rest of the way.  If the
>       tower nests at 20 feet and extends to 55 feet you will only have
35-45
>       feet of 9913 type of coax.  I have use runs of 75 feet of 9913 with a

>       radio putting out only 2 watts and have good performance from it at
>       940 MHz.

     The same caveat should be applied to 9913.  Since the inner conductor of
9913 is a solid wire, it shouldn't be used in an application where it'll be
moved; i.e. rotator loop or on crank-up.  Over time, it will crack and break.
There are some new 9913 clones that have a multi-strand inner conductor that
will take the movement with no problem.

     The only way you could use hardline on a crank-up tower is if you never
lower it once it's extended.

73,  Steve  K7LXC