[TowerTalk] Tailtwister sticky brake

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tailtwister sticky brake
From: kbalmforth@compuall.com (K. Balmforth)
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 18:25:08 -0700
Hi -

I recently put out a query on CQ-CONTEST reflector re: my TT2 not
rotating, and how to diagnose it.  Thanks for all the positive
looked fine; hoever, the grease had thickened, which caused the motor to
slow/bind.  I re-lubed the moving surfaces with some soft lithium grease
& a touch of WD-40, and it seems to rotate like a champ now (at least on
the bench).

While it was disassembled, I happened to notice that the brake solenoid
frequently stuck in the retracted (i.e. brake off) position.  It would
usually release by itself after a minute or two.  At first, I thought it
also needed some lube.  But the more I played with it, the more it
seemed the solenoid "hammer" (moving piece) was magnetically sticking to
the solenoid body (static piece).  If I put a piece of paper in between
the two, nothing would stick.  I eventually took a Dremel tool and
scarred-up the mating surfaces of the solenoid hammer and body.  Voila -
no sticking (over 100+ trials).

Anybody know if this is a common problem?  I wonder how long this remedy
will last. Sure don't want to bring this down from the tower again...

73, Kevin N6ER (es-NC6U)