[TowerTalk] Hilltops & ground losses

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Hilltops & ground losses
From: w4an@contesting.com (Bill Fisher, W4AN)
Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 13:14:14 -0400 (EDT)
I wonder if this makes sense to any of you guys that actually understand
antenna technology?

I have an 80M 4-square with elevated radials.  The center of the square is
placed on the very top of my hilltop.  The hill drops off pretty uniformly
in all directions at a very quick rate.  Each of the verticals is fed
(currently) at about 12' off the ground.  To the outside of the verticals I
have the elevated radials suspended in the trees.  Most of the radials are
about 25' to 40' off the ground at the ends because of the slope.

Does it make sense that since the ground on the outside of the square
vanishes so fast that this might actually be helping to minimize ground
losses in my system?

73

Bill, W4AN

Bill Fisher, W4AN (EX KM9P)