[TowerTalk] Texas Tornados and Kansas Towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Texas Tornados and Kansas Towers
From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale Martin)
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 17:27:49 -0500
On Thursday, May 29, 1997 8:55 AM, Lee Buller[SMTP:k0wa@southwind.net] wrote:
>Guys and Gals...
>
>Did you see the newspaper and TV pics from the Texas tornados?  The only
>thing that was left was the slab the house was sitting on.  In some cases,
>reports indicate that even the asphalt on the street was sucked up.
>Terrible storm.
>
>Are there any reports of what happened to hams in the area of a tornador and
>what anyone has experienced?  What has happened to towers when hit by a
>tornado.  I guess I have some morbid curiosity here.  I think it was W5UN,
>and I don't think I have the call right, that got hit by one several years
>ago.  Took out his super-duper moon bounce array.
>
>I am interested in what happens because I live in Tornado alley myself.
>Last Sunday, I was spotting for RACES and the NWS and saw one form about 1/4
>mile away,  I've seen these things many times and I have seen the damage to
>buildings, but not to towers and antennas.
>
>Comments anyone?
>
>Lee
>k0wa@southwind.net
>

>--
>Search:                          http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search.htm

Lee,
I cannot speak for what happens to towers in a tornado, but I
do know there are all kinds of bent, broken, twisted aluminum
antenna parts and steel tower parts in the big field beyond my
back fence as a result of micro-tornados that swept through with
a hurricane a number of years ago, before I moved in here.

You are more than welcome to go wandering through the brush,
bushes, trees looking at the stuff.  I think there is everything
from Rohn 45G to 25G and other stuff back there in all sorts
of contorted forms.

73,

Dale Martin, KG5U
kg5u@hal-pc.org