[TowerTalk] RCS8V 5 pos switch and alternate relays

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] RCS8V 5 pos switch and alternate relays
From: ataylor@midas.llnl.gov (Allan G. Taylor)
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 10:52:26 -0700 (PDT)
This is a follow-on to the comments re the MFJ RCS8V 5 pos remote antenna sw.
I have used one for about two years to control a K1WA-type sloper array (40M).
My experience is that one of the 5 relays will occasionally not make contact but
that a few passes with the switch will clear it up.  I know that the K1WA array
should have both center and shield switched, but the array I put up still gave
some gain and f/b ratio (and a big signal!). My next project is to redo it as
a 6-el sloper with both directors and reflectors in addition to the driven
elements. That won't work with the RCS8V, needless to say, and will require a
homebrew relay box and 12 relays!  Can anyone out there suggest a good source of
usable dpst and spst relays suitable for switching a legal limit at 7 MHz? (NO,
not under load!) I prefer 12 V relays and not so fancy that I could buy a yagi
for the cost of the relays!!

If all this works out, the RCS8V will be for sale!

Grant  K7GT   email to: k7gt@qsl.net