[TowerTalk] An Engineering Question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] An Engineering Question
From: w7ni@teleport.com (Stan Griffiths)
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 01:14:02 -0700 (PDT)
>Don't like that idea?  Take a good look at how the power company guys
>poles in restricted areas:                     ||\
>                       ||  \
>                       ||    \
>                       ||      \
>                       ||-------|
>                       ||       |
>                       ||       |

>Yes, the ascii-art is lousy ... and not to scale, but the idea still
>translates.
>
>Hope this helps ... and by all means, engineer the solution, don't wish
>or guess it.
>
>73
>
>Rick, WB3EXR

I hate to disagree with you Rick, but as your diagram (pretty good,
actually) clearly shows, the power company does NOT use elevated guy posts.
The mechanics of what the power company does are quite different than what
most hams want to do with elevated guy posts.  For example, the power
company experiences no forces tending to rotate the guy post base in the
ground.  Guy tension does not tend to make the post tip toward the tower in
the power company example as it will in the elevated guy post example.  I
have NEVER seen a ham tower guyed as in the example you have drawn with a
"guy post" positioned horizontally and the guy wire entering the ground
vertically.  I believe the horizontal forces presented to the tower by the
horizontal post might bend it.  It works for the power company because they
use wooden poles instead of steel towers and they can withstand a LOT of
horizontal pressure without failure.  I have never seen the power company
use this technique on any of their steel towers.

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com