[TowerTalk] Anchor rods and Pipelines

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Anchor rods and Pipelines
From: ve6jy@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca (Don Moman)
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 19:16:53 -0600 (MDT)
If I recall correctly, a few weeks ago, someone posted something about
anchor rods failing in the vicinity of a pipeline, and having to do with
increasing galvanic action, cathodic potentials, sacrificial anodes and
the like. A large natural gas pipeline will be going thru the back of the
my 80 acres (whether I like it or not) but I wish to be as informed as
possible as to any disadvantages it may bring.

I currently have one tower which is guyed into the proposed right of way -
and fully expect that will be converted into a self supporting tower,
which we are negotiating about currently.

My main question is: what is the sphere of influence of a cathodic
protection system?  Do I need to be concerned about other guyed towers
that are 500 feet away? 1000 feet away? I realize more facts may be needed
to give a definitive answer but for now this is all I have.  This is a
significant (36 inch), nearly 2000 mile long pipeline. The soil is rather
average black dirt, certainly not particularily acidic or alkili.

Any thoughts, suggestions or additional references would be welcome.

Thanks,
Don

VE6JY is Don Moman               email: ve6jy@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Box 127 Lamont, Alberta