[TowerTalk] FAA and Private Airports

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] FAA and Private Airports
From: williame@csn.net (Bill Standerfer)
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 20:26:45 +0000
k3lr <k3lr@telerama.lm.com> wrote:
> I noticed that WL7E mentioned that the FAA has required marking of a
> tower that is less than 200 feet and only close to a PRIVATE airport.
>
> My experience has been that the FAA does not give any protection to
> PRIVATE airports, only pulic use air facilities (including heliports).
> [...]
> I am interested to learn if anyone else has been required to mark or
> light towers (Upon filing of a FAA 7460) by the FAA for Private
> airports.
>[...]

I once lived on a private airport (Van Aire, Brighton, CO) and had a
modest 50' tower up about 300' from the runway.  I filed the form and
got it back a few weeks later with no action required.  Just before
we moved in, someone else left who had 60' or so up about 100' from the
runway, so I assume he had no action required by the Feds either.

The FAA is really only interested in obstructions that might conflict
with instrument approaches to a runway.  If you're more than five
miles away from any airport, I think they'd have a hard time
justifying any restriction to even a 200' tower.  There's a thick
book that describes how obstacles affect approaches to an airport and
there are lots of dependences, so trying to guess at what the FAA may
say in a given situation is pure speculation.

Bill Standerfer - W0GM - Baron N222AB
Fort Collins, Colorado
williame@csn.net