[TowerTalk] Re:LM470

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re:LM470
From: KJ6Y@aol.com (KJ6Y@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 00:09:17 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-06-15 23:20:19 EDT, WA2QNW@aol.com writes:

<< I have an LM470 motorized and can alert you to one problem I had

 THE CABLE SNAPPED and although there was no structural damage to the tower
or
 to the concrete, it was a problem to replace it because of its design.

 BTW  I tried the insurance route and NOT ALLOWED because there was some
 indication of rust on the strands.

 My tower installer AND the insurance co. both advised that the cable was the
 SMALLEST ALLOWABLE DESIGN THICKNESS !!!!

 At some expense,  a heavier aircraft cable was installed.

 It has been about three years so I dont know if they have redesigned the
 cable they use now....ask about it!!!

 CAVEAT EMPTOR (sp)

 Chuck
 WA2QNW >>

Chuck
How old was the towewr and cable? I have replaced many cables on LM-470s and
although it is time consuming it is not all that hard to do. I've seen cables
that were more than 20-25 years old and just getting to the poiint of needing
replacing, and I've seen cables 3 years old that are in dire need of
replacing. Alot has to do with the climate and proximaty to the ocean, lakes,
etc. I always tell my customers to check the cable on a regular basis and
look for wear, rust and corrosion. One thing I have found, if you have a mast
or antenna hardware that is not that are not galvanized or stainless, the
rust has a tendecy to run down on the cables and pullys and speed up the
corrosion process.
BTW, I recabled my own LM-470 last year. It has been up here for 14 yearsand
I bought it used and it had the original cables on it. I used 1/4" cables on
the main raising and lowering cables, and the standard 3/16' on the rest.
Also, did you remove the pullys and check and lube them before you put the
new cables on. I have found the bearings inside also will get corroded and
not turn smoothly. I've also seen the bearings froze up so bad that it no
longer turns and just wears out on the through bolt, making the hole larger
and larger till the pully fails and snaps the cable. Be sure to check those
pullys.
This is not just with Tri-Ex, but all crank up towers
If you have any questions you can e-mail or call.
73's
Skip, KJ6Y
Communications Service Co.
http://members.aol.com/kj6y/skip.html