[TowerTalk] I Beam Strength

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] I Beam Strength
From: AD7L@aol.com (AD7L@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 23:27:39 -0400 (EDT)
I'm considering using elevated guys for an upcoming tower project.  Some
folks use large diameter tubing for the anchors, while some use I beams.
 There seems to be a lot of data about the strength of tubing, but I haven't
seen any information about the strength of I beams.  I beams come in a wide
variety of sizes, and perhaps materials as well, although I'm not sure about
that.

Can anyone shed some light on the strength of I beams?

Some facts about my project:
80' Rohn 45
2 sets of guys (per Rohn catalog)
80 mph wind zone
antennas still in planning, but nothing too massive (3 el 40M, 3 el 30M side
mounted)

Any comments about the merits of I beams versus tubing would also be
appreciated.

73,

Ron  AD7L
Hillsboro, OR