[TowerTalk] Does Rohn Recommend This?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Does Rohn Recommend This?
From: n4gnr@alltel.net (Dan Cisson)
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 10:23:11 -0400
Bill Coleman AA4LR wrote:

> In talking with Chris, KD4DTS on a local UHF repeater, he related an
> interesting tower installation:
>
> Apparently an enterprising ham decided that it was easier and cheaper to
> dispense with all that fuss of pouring concrete for a base, guy anchors,
> guys, guy tensioning, and heck with all those middle sections of tower
> when there are perfectly good supports in his yard.
>
> He mounted his vertical antenna by lashing a top section of Rohn 25 in a
> pine tree with wire ties.
>
> Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr@radio.org
> Quote: "Not in a thousand years will man ever fly!"
>             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901
>
> --

UNR-ROHN DOES NOT RECOMMEND ANYTHING, NOT NOTHING, UNLESS ITS RIGHT BY
THEIR INSTALLATION BOOK. THEY GENERALLY WILL NOT TALK TO YOU ABOUT
ANYTHING OUTSIDE OF THAT MANUAL, AND THATS FROM A LIABILITY STANDPOINT!!
I HAVE TRIED TO TALK TO THEM ABOUT THINGS WHERE A TOWER INSTALLATION IS
NOT BY THE BOOK, AND THEY WOULD NOT DISCUSS IT AT ALL. AND THATS THE
RIGHT WAY FOR THEM TO BE, CAUSE IF MY TOWER HAD FAILED, THE FIRST THING
I WOULD HAVE THOUGHT OF WOULD BE WHAT THEY TOLD ME TO DO OR NOT TO DO.
73 DAN N4GNR