[TowerTalk] Conductivity of oxides

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Conductivity of oxides
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 13:18:54
All this discussion about cleaning aluminum inspires me to ask a question
-- how does the conductivity of aluminum oxide compare with clean aluminum,
and with copper oxide?  Reason for the question is that I have a ground bus
made of aluminum angle on the back of my operating desk, with each piece of
equipment attached to it by a wire pigtail with a ring terminal on the end,
screwed tightly to the bus by a sheet metal screw.  Now I'm wondering
whether this connection is really effective -- would I need to polish the
aluminum mating surface and put Noalox on the connections to really have a
low-resistance ground?  Is there an analogy to aluminum house wiring and
the problems experienced during the 1970s?

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@contesting.com