[TowerTalk] MORE TOWER HEIGHT / STACK INFO

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] MORE TOWER HEIGHT / STACK INFO
From: n4kg@juno.com (T. A. Russell)
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 11:19:49 -0600
RE:  STACKED  TRIBANDERS

The BEST situation is to have an UPPER / LOWER / BOTH
switch box.  Several suppliers advertise in the NCJ.
(National Contest Journal)

Stacked 10M monobanders look good at 30/60 ft.
Stacked 20M monobanders look good at 50/100 ft.

For a 100 ft wide city lot using 80% guying 80 ft is a safe tower height
limit and stacked tribanders at 40/80 ft is a good compromise for all
three bands.  Even 30/60 ft is beneficial.  A 2L40 on top works very
well at 70 to 90 ft.

BOTH tribanders will usually be superior to the UPPER one alone
for LOW angles on MUF limited paths and after dark.

OFTEN, the LOWER tribander will be superior to BOTH or the UPPER,
especially during the day when the MUF is high and high angles are
supported.

It is also very useful in contesting to use BOTH antennas but to separate
them in heading, say one on Europe and the other on SA/Caribbean.
>From W4 my LOW antenna works better to Europe and Africa while
my high antenna works better to the Caribbean (one hop mode).

I like guyed towers.  IMHO (in my humble opinion), THERE IS  NOTHING
STRONGER,  SAFER, or COST EFFECTIVE,  THAN A  GUYED  TOWER!

With ten foot tower sections, Rohn towers can be adjusted in height
as guying and space permit.

de  Tom  N4KG