[TowerTalk] Unguyed

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Unguyed
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 12:30:15 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-06-23 01:13:14 EDT, ku7y@sage.dri.edu (Monte Stark)
writes:

> With Rohn 25, how far above a set of guys is it safe to climb?
>
>  Or do I need to spend the money and get more rope to use as
>  temp guys?
>
>  Right now I am at 40' with the first set of guys at 28'. Next
>  set will be at 56'. Third set will be at about 72'.
>
>  Hmmmmm, at 61, do I really need to start thinking about being
>  cautious??? Never did when I worked in the oil fields!!  :-)

     This IS a matter of comfort zone. Normally you stack sections until the
next guy attachment point and repeat as needed. Standing on the top of 40
feet of naked 25G does take good mental preparation though. Try to keep in
mind that the leg compression forces needed to make a leg fail are
significant; one 200 pound tower worker is within the safe limits of the
tower strength.

    Temporary guying, while adding time to your project, may be worth the
added safety and  psychological benefit. BTW, I temporarily guyed a tower
during dismantling that I had put up totally self-supporting when I was
younger. (Was I crazy then or do things look different now? Probably a little
of both.)

73,  Steve  K7LXC