[TowerTalk] texas towers back order

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] texas towers back order
From: k2kv@netusa.net (Jeff Singer)
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 1997 00:15:48 +0100
Gerald -

Processing a thousand orders a month is no mean feat. It takes a lot of
work and a willing crew. Getting it right takes commitment. A thousand
orders adds up to a whole lot of revenue and - let's face it - attendant
profit too, even at low margin.

But more importantly, I think it also means that perhaps the time has
come for you to consider how you might make the process better for your
customers, rather than bleating the miseries of being in the amateur
radio business - especially in this forum.

And the hard honest fact is, your telephone people NEVER say, "Okay,
fine. I understand that you will be assembling five people this Saturday
to erect the tower. The computer shows the hardware in stock, but I
CAN'T confirm that because it might be on backorder and I have no way of
knowing that. Do you want to order it today anyway?"

If your computers can't tell if an item has been backordered "for a few
days," get rid of it, man! That's ridiculous! Teach your staff how to
perform this function, or get new computers. You're handling a thousand
orders a month!!!!

You're not doing anyone a favor by confirming that an item is in stock,
when in truth it is NOT. Other dealers, storefronts and mailorder houses
are able to confirm their inventory at the point of purchase; you should
be able to accomplish this as well. If you're not willing to accomodate
your customers by delivering accurate information, then suffer you
shall, and eventually your doors, too, will close (and I swear I DON'T
want to see that happen, really!).

Don't try to pass blame for attitude on the people who trust YOU to tell
the truth when, in fact, YOU have inconvenienced scores of us tower
owners who - without much surprise - will bash the heck out of you if
you won't do it right, and in the process have enough regard for others
to save some of them from the certain disappointment your short
deliveries will bring.

>From a VERY dissatisfied FORMER Texas Tower mailorder customer.

73 de Jeff K2KV
k2kv@netusa.net