[TowerTalk] Coax in Conduit and WATER!

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Coax in Conduit and WATER!
From: broz@csn.net (John Brosnahan)
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 1997 16:00:54 -0600 (MDT)
At 05:15 PM 7/6/97, you wrote:
>>>  It wasn't that good and we ended up
>locating all
>of the splices with the help of a TDR, digging them up and redoing them
>. <<
>
>Gee... If you really mean hardline (and in radio astronomy I believe
>that you mean real hardline -- frequently run with refrigeration lines
>for the low noise head) you would think that there would be a high
>quality dehydrator circulating and constantly drying the air (or other
>gas) that becomes the dielectric in the transmission line.
>
>Joe / W8SS

Yep, I mean hardline--basic foam-filled 7/8 inch, 100 ohm stuff that was
surplus.
Not all radio astronomy is at microwaves.  We did a lot of HF and low VHF
radio astronomy--primarily Jupiter--Io effect and solar emissions.

Sky background was the limiting factor.    This was a low budget operation--
hence the ammo boxes to protect the splices--but it this case the "protection"
was the problem.

John  W0UN