[TowerTalk] turnbuckle strength

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] turnbuckle strength
From: aa7bg@3rivers.net (K7BG Matt Trott)
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 1997 18:00:53 -0600 (MDT)
>The numbers published in hardware distributors catalogs relate to "Working
>Load Limit". The distributors have no way to know your application and
>publish a number thought to be safe for weight or load bearing applications
>in general on a continuous duty cycle basis. Tower manufacturers, such as
>Rohn, select turnbuckle sizes based on "Breaking Strength" or "Ultimate
>Strength". The 7 strand Extra High Strength guy sizes like 3/16 EHS, 1/4 EHS,
>etc. specified for tower guying are all rated for breaking strength so it is
>logical to also use the same rating for turnbuckles.

Yo, thanks for the info. I assume this goes for other hardware as well. I've
been staying awake nights ever since I put up my tower last year pondering
the strength of the shackles that attach the philly to the torque bars. Near
as I could tell when I put it up the shackles were rated at ~2000 lbs. and
the philly 7000 lbs. Was there a weak link here? Were the shackles the fuse?
Why would Rohn spec it this way. Shrug.

Hasn't come down yet and I guess I'll keep this by the bed to read when I
wake up in a cold sweat on the next blustery tempest laden night.

Matt--K7BG
Matt--K7BG