[TowerTalk] Heard GI0AIJ Lately?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Heard GI0AIJ Lately?
From: mashaum@fcg.net (Mark Shaum)
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 18:11:27 -0500
I was taking a break while digging the foundation hole for
the #25 tiltover on Sunday, and decided to look for a QSO
to share some sore muscle misery. The classic 2-fisted
post-hole digger is a pain once you get beyond about 30
inches deep in the usual clay-like mixture.  A miniscule
fist-sized clump each lift..  Next time I dig a hole, I
don't care if it's for a 20 foot 2x2, I'm gonna dig wide
enough to enable use of a shovel for the entire excavation!

Anyway.. a big signal on 20 from GI0AIJ.  The antennas
definitely made me sit up and take note, I regret I missed
a lot of the QSO.  AIJ apparently has his setup where
100-120 mph gusts are quite frequent.  All of his yagis
were either designed, built, or both, by the author of
Physical Design of Yagi Antennas (now N6NL?).  Here's what
I caught on his arrays:

40m:  2 stacked 3 el full size yagis at 198' and 90 or 98'.
20m:  3 stacked 5 el yagis, didn't catch the heights.
15m:  4 stacked 6 el yagis, spread over a 220' tower
10m:  4 stacked 7 el yagis, again, on a 200 or 220' tower.

I believe he mentioned that each 5 el 20m yagi weighed
about 300 lbs.  Heavy duty, indeed.  The 40m layout yeilded
"30-40 over 9" from VK land with 50 watts.  Not bad over
that route from the Isles, eh?

Didn't catch the 80 or 160 setups, if any.  Has there been
any writeup or pictures of this layout?

Mark Shaum  K9TR
mashaum@fcg.net
Central Illinois Grid EN50