[TowerTalk] Coax breakin? (fwd)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Coax breakin? (fwd)
From: n3hrt@eagle1.eaglenet.com (Martin Gary)
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 1997 03:25:00 -0400
Hi all,

I usually stay away from these kinds of topics. I had trouble putting
out the
fire last time....

I own a repeater here in Southern Maryland, and the club that I belong
to holds
Ham classes on a regular basis. As a result there are a lot of new Hams
on my
repeater. I get phone calls all of the time from long time hams
complaining about
them. Its the usual story: "Marty, you wouldn't believe what so and so
said on the
repeater." Then they tell me the story and they always end it by saying
"don't these
new hams know anything?" My response is always "Did you know anything 10
years
ago when you first started? Did you key up and set him straight?" I have
a LOT of
trouble getting the older hams to explain things to the new guys. Every
ham has to
have an Elmer of some sort. I did, and most of you did too.

So before you get irritated and dismiss one of these new hams as an
idiot, stop and
think; Would it hurt if I took a couple of hours of my time and helped
him out????

If we want properly trained hams operating on our bands WE HAVE TO DO
THE
TRAINING!!!!!

Ok, I'm back off of my soapbox now.... Have a nice day.

73, Martin N3HRT