[TowerTalk] RE: element rotation

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] RE: element rotation
From: gdaught6@leland.Stanford.EDU (George T. Daughters)
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 10:13:44 +0008
hi all,

roger wrote:
>  We have opted for
> keeping the same elements on the boom and merely rotate them 60-degrees
> every four months. That way the bird droppings get evenly distributed
> and it reduces the metal fatigue factor on just one side of the tubing.
>
> We've also noted that birds are able to get a better grip on the
> elements with the "new traction enhancing" whereas before the sight of
> birds slipping on the shiny uncoated elements brought a new
> entertainment spectacle to the neighborhood.

very environmentally friendly!

personally, i don't rotate mine at all (i know; that's why i have a
wimpy signal!)

my C-3 has become a fairly popular resting place for the indigenous
avian population, and last night my wife and i were rewarded with a
*pair* of cooper's hawks on the driven element! (that's  3db more
than we've ever seen before!) the other feathered
types were *not* pleased.  after a long rest, the pair moved off, but
not until we got excellent looks at them with our binocs.  then the
mockingbirds and others took possession.

ham radio (especially a tower) has unexpected rewards!

73,
George T. Daughters, K6GT