[TowerTalk] Re: Kellum Grips

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Kellum Grips
From: n4kg@juno.com (T. A. Russell)
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 20:29:16 -0600
On Tue, 05 Aug 1997 06:20:43 -0700 Del Seay <seay@Alaska.NET> writes:

>No-No Steve: This is a totally unacceptable method of hanging coax or
>any other cable by a professional. First, it provides little
>sharp objects every few feet to rip your pants and hands
>while climbing (just like tye-wraps not properly installed and cut),
>second, it looks like a drunken sailor installed it.
>
>Single line install is done with a hanger kit every 3 feet or so,
>mounted with a "Round Member Kit". Multi runs ar done with a cross
>angle member installed every few feet, and hangers mounted on the
>cross member.
>
>Look in the Andrews catalog, you'll see the proper hardware in the
>section for Heliax.
>
>Been doing this for 40 years, and believe me, real pro's don't do
>that!
>de KL7HF
>

>@aol.com wrote:
>>
>> In a message dated 97-08-05 00:13:03 EDT, k1vr@juno.com (Fred
>Hopengarten)
>> writes:
>>
>> >   One prominent local professional tower erector uses 14 inch
>pieces
>> >  of #14 THHN black insulated solid copper wire.  He just uses them
>as
>> >  "twisties."  The THHN is relatively impervious to exposure to the
>sun.
>> >  There is no sharp edge, and the insulation over the copper wire
>bites
>> >  into the insulation  on the hardline, but, if done with the right
>touch,
>> >  won't deform the coax.  And you can't beat the price.
>> >
>>      This is an okay way to ATTACH cable to a tower. If you buy
>hardline from
>> Motorola, that's what they give you for hangers.
>>
>>     You still need the grip for hoisting and hanging. THEN use the
>THHN for
>> attaching. There really isn't any weight on it if done properly.
>>
>> 73,  Steve   K7LXC
>>
>> --

To  KL7HF:

Aren't  you  forgetting  something  here?

This is AMATEUR   RADIO,   we are not  trying to meet
first class commercial standards and don't have a
commercial bankroll (or Alaskan OIL) financing our installations!

On my 130 ft tower there are 4 transmission lines.
With one Kellum support  "every 3 ft or so"  that would
come to 40 to 43 hangers per line at  $13 each.  That's
$520 per transmission line, not including the cross arms
and U-bolts (stainless steel of course) to support the hangers.
That comes to $2100 for hangers alone which is probably
more than I have in the tower, guy wires, 48 insulators,
over 100 guy grips, 12 turnbuckles, and 6 screw in anchors.

I'm getting dizzy even thinking about how much more it would
cost to "properly hang" the transmission lines on the rest of
my  towers!

Steve (K7LXC), do you have enough order books on hand
for the coming flood of orders for perfect installations?  :-)

de  Tom  N4KG