[TowerTalk] End mounting of boom on 10 meter beam vs mount @ CG

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] End mounting of boom on 10 meter beam vs mount @ CG
From: jayt@tessi.com (Jay Terleski)
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 08:17:10 -0700
Hi Jim,  pretty good question.  And since I played a bit with the idea for
another
reason, I'll chime in.

You can stagger the lower 10 out in front of the tower and compensate for the
"early" phase of the wave by making its feedline longer than the upper center
mounted Yagi.  How long would be the number of meters that its director is in
front of the others director multiplied by the Velocity Factor of the coax.

Make sure you mount it VERY securely.  I had a long TV antennas on a tower and
just like you want to do with your 10.  The truss worked very well in the
horizontal but the winds that came up from underneath the beam blew it up and
bent
the Aluminum extension I put on the beam.  So you might consider trussing it
down
as well.  Winds really whip the tower around too.

I have three 4 ele  10m monos on that tower now as well as 3 4 ele 15s,  I dont
see much detuning of the 10s as they rotate around the tower on swing arms. So I
would not worry about tower interaction, and its sure much better to not torque
the tower by having that antenna way out in front.

And yes folks I do use StackMatches, many times the lower antennas are the best
over the top one.  So the ability to chose them is and disable the top is great.

Jay, WX0B