[TowerTalk] Re: Base Insulators for Rohn 25

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Base Insulators for Rohn 25
From: broz@csn.net (John Brosnahan)
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 14:26:03 -0600 (MDT)
At 01:57 PM 8/24/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Great idea, John. Do you know someone that will make me 40-60 of these?
>
>(((73)))
>Phil, K5PC

Phil,

You can pick up the G-10 at most plastics supply houses.  Cadillac
Plastics is one chain that comes to mind.  Any local machine shop
will also be happy to make them for you.  With a need for 40-60
you can probably get someone with an NC (computer controlled)
machine to make them.

I have my own shop--decent mill, lathe, TIG welder, and sheet metal
stuff--but I usually don't make things for other people--just that I
don't even have time to make all of the stuff for my self.  Probably
cheaper to have someone local make them anyway.

Some shops don't like to machine G-10--it tends to be abrassive
and is hard on the equipment when it gets down into the ways and
bearings.  Any decent carbide cutting tool will have no problem
doing a nice job.

The only tricky part is making sure the the holes in the tower legs
and the insulators all line up.  I use a piece of angle to scribe a
straight line along the leg that is parallel with the leg.  And then
I put the insulators in place and lay the tower on a flat floor
and use a straight edge (aluminum channel) to make sure the
tower is straight in the other plane (90 deg from the floor plane).
I have an attachment that goes on my electric drill that holds the drill
square to the leg and then drill away.  After each hole I drop
in a bolt so that nothing slips between drilling the holes.  It goes
pretty fast once you get set up for it.  I use good hardware including
NYLOK self locking nuts to keep it all together.  I touch up the
galvanizing on the cut ends of the diagonals with some of the
cold galvanizing spray.

Hope this all helps.

John  W0UN