[TowerTalk] Inv-L on ground / Elevated Radials

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Inv-L on ground / Elevated Radials
From: jmaass@freenet.columbus.oh.us (Jeffrey Maass)
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 20:14:17 -0400 (EDT)
I have an inverted-L for 160M. The vertical portion is constructed from the
tower portion of a Hy-Gain Hy-Tower and aluminum mast, with the top wire
running to my tower. The Hy-Tower is mounted at ground level.

I have used this antenna with 80 100-foot radials laid on the ground in
the late Fall and wound up in the Spring. This has been satisfactory, but
I'm looking at alternatives using elevated radials to lighten the
labor-intensive part of my life, and also to make the antenna usable
during the Spring/Summer/Fall.

With the antenna at ground level (on it's insulators),  adding elevated
radials requires sloping them up for a distance (about 45-degress angle)
from the base of the antenna, and running the rest of the radial at the
desired height (around 7 feet in this case).

Is this a workable plan, or is the vertical component of the radial
cancelling out or making less effective a portion of my Inv-L's vertical
section?

I'd prefer to elevate the base of the antenna to 5 or 6 feet, but this
isn't practical in my case.

I don't want to go to all the work of burying the radials (I'm more
willing to wind them out each year!)

73,

Jeff Maass       (jmaass@freenet.columbus.oh.us)      Amateur Radio K8ND
      USPSA/IPSC # L-1192   NROI/CRO          NW of Columbus Ohio
      25000 Members in 2000!