[TowerTalk] cold galvanize spray vs cans

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] cold galvanize spray vs cans
From: psoper@encore.com (Pete Soper)
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 1997 08:20:30 -0400
Hi Rod,
        You wrote:

> That settles it!  I'm going to stick to Cold Galvanizing by LPS.  It is only
> $6 + change for a 16 oz. spray can that covers quite a bit of area.... and
> it is 95% zinc!

        The ZRC in cans is around $26-30 a quart, give or take for shipping
(so find a local source). If my math based on Scott's mail is right, that
makes the cost comparable to the spray cans at $6 on the basis of weight, not
counting a small fudge factor for the propellant in the spray version. However
it takes me 2 1/2 spray cans to properly cover a section of 25G because I'm
also painting a lot of newspaper behind the tower. I'm convinced it will be
worse for both me and the surroundings when trying to spray paint sections
that are erected. With the cans of paint and a mit (& plastic gloves)
and brush I'm hoping to get 2-3 times the coverage of spray for this case.
It's the surface prep for erected sections that's the killer. I'd pay for
spray cans of abrasive pad :-)

Cheers,
Pete
KS4XG