[TowerTalk] Price for Used Rohn 25 & 45

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Price for Used Rohn 25 & 45
From: n4kg@juno.com (T. A. Russell)
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 10:58:45 -0600

>Can anyone give me an idea of the going price for used 10 ft. sections
>of Rohn 25 and 45 in good condition?
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>
>John    K2SY

John -

I'll ask you the same questions I ask my young friends who are building
stations.

1 - How  old  are  you?

2 - How long do you intend to use this tower (before having to replace
it)?

     (Rohn estimates a 40 year useful lifetime in a non-corrosive
environment)

3 - How much will you REALLY save?  Calculate this on a percentage basis
      including the cost of anchors, guys, guy wraps, turnbuckles,
insulators,
      etc.  For most installations, the hardware costs equal the tower
cost.
      If you buy all new hardware and can get a 50% cheaper tower, you
will
      only save 25% overall and end up with a shorter useful lifetime
than if
      you went ahead and bought new tower.

If you can get used tower at a real bargain price, it may be useful to
carry it
to a place that can do HOT  DIP  GALVANIZING.  They dip it in an acid
bath
to remove all the rust and crud, then put on a new coat of galvanizing.
If I
remember correctly, this comes to around $11-15 for Rohn 25.  Check
your Yellow Pages or ask around.  Galvanizing companies are in most
moderate to big cities or nearby.

I recommend to anyone who expects to keep his tower for a long time to
bite the bullet and put up new stuff.  I have a back yard of rusting
towers (7)
which I installed over the last 20 years, all obtained used.  Some of
them
show heavy surface rust (Not Rohn towers) while the Rohn towers exhibit
pitting on the diagonals and some light surface rust.  I have seen some
stations with heavily rusted Rohn 25 sections in place on tall towers.
No thanks!  Think of a new tower purchase as cheap insurance and
preventive maintenance!

de  Tom  N4KG