[TowerTalk] Phillystran Potting Heads

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Phillystran Potting Heads
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 1997 01:15:04 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-09-06 00:00:51 EDT, nasfred@interserf.net writes:

> Need some help in figuring out how to reuse Phillystran potting heads.
>  Presently, the heads are connected to several lengths of Phillystran that
>  I'm planning on using on a tower.  However, some lengths are in need of
>  being reterminated.
>
>  First: Can grips be used with this type of Phillystran?

     What you have is the original Phillystran. It was used with potting
heads and is also fairly stiff. About 5-6 years ago, Phillystran came out
with a new PVC jacket material which is shinier than the old stuff plus it's
fairly supple - you can tie it in a knot.

     The potting heads were the only termination for the original
Phillystran. The newer Phillystran has Preformed grips for its terminations.
No, you cannot use the Preform grips with the old material.

>  Second: Can the potting heads be cleaned out for reuse?

     Sure.

>  Third: If the potting heads can be reused, how can they be cleaned out?

      My suggestion is to use the KM9P/W4AN method. That is, throw them in a
fire. When you take them out the next morning, just clean them up and the
potting material will have vanished. In other words, you can melt or burn the
stuff out. I don't know what sort of noxious fumes are involved but it worked
for Bill.

     Put out a request for potting heads on TowerTalk; I'm sure there are
some collecting dust in someone's barn or shed. I understand that the potting
material is available but I don't know where to get it. TowerTalkians?

73,  Steve  K7LXC