[TowerTalk] tower lifting alternatives

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] tower lifting alternatives
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 1997 18:32:35 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-09-06 01:45:42 EDT, ftbrady@cosmoslink.net writes:

> I'm trying to decide whether to hire a flat bed tow truck to unload my
tower
>  when it arrives or build my own hoist.  Also, I would like to build a
small
>  but sturdy 'dolly' with large enough wheels to roll over the hard packed
>  ground at our new QTH.
>
>  Do any of you know of plans and costs for hoists and dollies?
>
>  I would imagine that the hoist would have to be suspended from some sort
of
>  rugged tripod with enough height to get the hook above the tower as it
sits
>  on the bed of the shipping trailer. This sounds fairly expensive - maybe
>  $200 for the hoist and another $200 or so to weld a tripod?

     A dolly is a viable option IF the ground is level and it's paved all the
way to the base.

    Since you have to unload the tower anyway, just have a boom truck meet
the truck when it arrives. The boomtruck can lift the tower off the truck AND
swing it over and lower onto your tower base. And all for less than the price
of the aforementioned dolly. You can get it done around here for $195.00 (3
hours @ $65/hr minimum charge). I wouldn't do it any other way.

73,  Steve  K7LXC

    TOWER TECH -- professional tower supplies for amateurs