[TowerTalk] 160 Tuners?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 160 Tuners?
From: k2kv@netusa.net (Jeff Singer)
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 23:20:00 -0400
Hi all -

My tuner is the venerable Dentron DTR-3KA. I've had it a long time, and
it is built stronger than almost anything. It can take lots of power,
and is accurately resettable. It is simply a great classic tuner.
Unfortunately, even though it was rated for 160-10, I know from past
experience that it didn't do 160 too well, since if you ran power
through it on 160 it would arc at abt 400-500 watts!

Naturally, the arc would shut down my Alpha 87A. In the past, I would
simply reset the amp and try not to repeat my actions. It's been two
years since I've done that!

Today I completed the installation of a 160 Carolina Windom, an antenna
which is NOT resonant on any band, but which is supposed to play well
through a tuner. Without getting into the attributes and liabilities of
the antenna, I need to resolve a problem.

I was setting the tuner up for 80, and had no problem, either with
exciter or amp. When I got to 160, I set the tuner with the exciter and
all was fine. Then I started to give the amp some juice, no reflected
power - and I forgot that this would happen - when I got to 400-500
watts, POP! Not only did the tuner arc inside, but it blew my 1000MP
back to 40-meters (it's ok, just scared me) and the amp went into a
fault mode and won't come out. I am now sure I blew at least a PIN
diode. I am waiting for "the guy" from Alpha to call me tomorrow, and
we'll see. So for now, I am in deep doo-doo. I'll live. Contest season
(for me) is six weeks off, so my timing could have been worse.

Here's my question: I certainly don't want to tune up the antenna again
with the Dentron on 160 when my amp is working once again. I am ready to
get a different tuner, one which can handle 160 MUCH better than my
Dentron, and would appreciate any advice, from your experience or
otherwise about the other qualified tuners out there. If you know of a
better tuner better suited for 160, please let me know. It can be
something curently in production or an oldie, doesn't matter.

Thanks very much in advance.

73 de Jeff K2KV
k2kv@netusa.net