(Fwd) [TowerTalk] Driving ground rods

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: (Fwd) [TowerTalk] Driving ground rods
From: TOMK5RC@aol.com (TOMK5RC@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 09:58:19 -0400 (EDT)
Dick;

I've also received my "welcome" to Nevada, trying to put in my first tower
base. As you mention, after six inches it is rock and more rock. I took a
queue from my elmer, Sam Harris, W1FZJ, who was never encumbered by natural
obstacles. I cut down a pine tree with an 8" base, placed the Rohn base
section over it, secured the tower to the tree with angle iron, placed a 2' x
2' x 2' wooden form around the whole thing and poured it full of concrete.

As far as grounding, I've been reading Polyphaser's literature and will opt
for burying radials instead of ground rods. I'm still pondering the whole
"burying" problem, since I have a 200' run to the shack and I live on open
range with wild horses who love to dig and kick up their heels!.

The saga will continue....

Tom Taormina, K5RC/7