[TowerTalk] Guy Grips with Rohn Torque Arms

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guy Grips with Rohn Torque Arms
From: donovanf@sgate.com (Frank Donovan)
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 18:50:56 -0400 (EDT)
J.P. -

I hope your new AB-105 tower is on schedule and progressing well!

As K7LXC always (correctly) states, "do what the manufacturer says."
Unfortunately you can't really do that with AB-105, but perhaps we should
trust Rohn instead...

All of the drawings in the Rohn catalog specify use of 3/8" heavy
duty thimbles with 1/4" Big Grips (for example, their parts lists for Rohn
45, 55 and 65 towers).

Also, the Rohn catalog listing for "Guy materials" states:

   5/16" Heavy duty wire rope thimble, open
         (for 3/16" wire with Big Grips)

   3/8" Heavy duty wire rope thimble, open
        (for 1/4" wire with Big Grips)

Preformed Line products sez the minimum seat diameter for the big grip is
1.125 inches.  I guess you could measure the diameter of the 5/16" thimble
to see if its big enough.  The next issue is thimble collapsing strength,
unfortunately I do not know the collapsing strength of the two sizes of
heavy duty thimble in question...   The data should be in Federal
Specification FF-T-276b Type III.

Good luck!

73
Frank