[TowerTalk] Ham-4 rotor motor repair - advice needed

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ham-4 rotor motor repair - advice needed
From: ad4hw@citrus.infi.net (Dan)
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 19:42:15 -0400
Hi OM's,

I'm repairing a Ham-4 rotor that has been submerged in salt-water.  There
were several problems that needed attention, but there is only one left to
address.

My question concerns the motor.  The motor armature rests on a cork
bearing--this absorbs the downward force of the motor shaft.  The cork
bearing is a wafer of cork that is glued to a stationary metal ring.   As a
result of being submerged, the cork wafer came loose from the metal ring.
In order to clean the cork prior to cementing it into location, I used
mineral spirits and alcohol--the cork is now clean and dry, and is cemented
into position on the metal ring.  What kind of oil should be used on this
bearing?  (The armature is apparently meant to glide on a film of oil.  The
cork is so fragile, I suspect that the type of oil may be critical.

Thanks & 73,
Dan

Dan Long (W4TQ)
8035 Tokyo Pt.