[TowerTalk] Non-resonant guy lengths

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Non-resonant guy lengths
From: mraz@aud.alcatel.com (Kris Mraz, N5KM)
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 1997 09:13:02 -0500
Jonathan Starr wrote:

> I want to insulate the top sections of guy wire (1/2" for
> 100' of Rohn 80) for my new tower and need to know what
> lengths to use. The old ARRL handbook says 24' to 29', 39'
> to 40', and 57' to 58' are non-resonant.

Question:
With an antenna like a 4 square you simply "float" the other three
verticals in order to get them out of the picture while you're tuning
the 4th vertical. These three floating verticals are almost exactly
resonant with the one you're interested in. Why is it these near
field resonant structures don't matter in this case but are highly
unwanted in the case of guy wires?

Kris N5KM
mailto:mraz@aud.alcatel.com