[TowerTalk] Beam in the Big Wind!

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Beam in the Big Wind!
From: N0OEL@aol.com (N0OEL@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 22:22:08 -0400 (EDT)
I have asked Dick's Green's question many times of the experts:   best to
leave the
side of the beam to the wind or the front of the beam pointing into the wind?

Answer:   Lots of various opinions on that but the majority feel that
pointing the
beam into the wind puts less stress on the tower.    Your boom is the largest
piece of aluminum you have up there and when it is sidewards to the wind it
puts
way more windload on your tower than the elements.   It will take buffeting
better
but be a much bigger load on your tower.    So, since my friend Syd Kittrell,
former
National Sales Manager for HyGain, and now a silent key,  told me that to
face my
beam into the wind I have and it has always weathered the storms!