[TowerTalk] OCT. CQ Antenna article

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] OCT. CQ Antenna article
From: w5rz@cswnet.com (Dennis Schaefer)
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 15:19:24 -0500
At 06:09 PM 10/13/97 -0400, MarchandJohn wrote:
>Was reading thru the October issue of CQ and came across the article on
>P. 24 by Paul Carr-N4PC, ---
>     "My 40 Meter Double-Extended Zepp antenna Shows Its Versatility"
>
>Its basically a 178-180' (not critical) wire antenna fed with open wire
line...
>with a little bit of gain that gets you on 160-10m with a decent signal.

We used one of these this year at Field DAy.  We run two stations, CW and
SSB.  Both usually put up triband beams.  CW normally makes 700-800 Q's.
We are always tired at starting time.  This year, CW put up a 180 foot
"Zepp" and that was the only antenna.  We planned the layout based on
Eznec's patterns.  On 20 and 15, we had a good lobe on the East coast and
could run stations better than we normally could on the tribander.  On 40,
the major lobes were N-S, but the signal was loud.  It worked at least as
well on 80 as a dipole.  We made 993 Q's, by far our best effort.  We tore
down in 20 minutes, and then spent the next hour helping the phone guys
take down their towers!

We did use a Johnson Kw Matchbox and good quality ladder line.
(transmitter power was 80 watts).

We had over 600 at the 12 hour point, so our QSO total was mainly limited
by running out of people to work!

Dennis,  W5RZ