[TowerTalk] My weekend antenna up putting

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] My weekend antenna up putting
From: harpole@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu (Charles H. Harpole)
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 23:44:05 -0400 (EDT)
So, what I did this weekend was 1. rent a crane (really a hi lift), 2.
take down 40-2 (lightning busted one trip on this ant) and down a
lightning zapped G-6 (lots of it was just gone!), 3 put up 5 el HyGain ten
meter in its place (top of 70 ft tower add 15 feet for mast up to there)
and a new G-6.
4.  Put up new Cush. 3 el 6meter on different tower at 75 ft.
5.  Put up new HyGain Discoverer 7-2, two el. shorty forty at 65 ft.
6 put up 160, 75, 40 parallel dipole(s) full 1/2 wave sized at 60 ft apex.
7.  Threw rope in top of 80 ft pine tree ready for another 160 dipole end.
 Someday, plan to put new 5 el 15 HyGain at 80 ft. and
existing 5 el. 20meter 5 el 20
HyGain at 71 ft.  Then create three stack of TH-7s on new tower.
Hints:  use the HyGain clam shell boom-to-mast clamp by bolting it onto
mast first with two shorter bolts, then bring center boom piece to this
point and bolt it on, finally bring rear and front elements up to ends of
the mounted center boom piece and put the rest of the boom with element
attached into the center boom piece (on each end of center boom piece).

That is really a neat way to get the elements to the top of the tower
without bending them...but then u need a crane most likely.

The 2 el HyGain 40 is in place and hears very gud.  1:1 at 7.150 and 2:1
at 7.020 and at 7.195... but very much higher at 7.005.  More gradual rise
in SWR above 7.195, making most of 40 phone ok.

I cannot recommend a crane/hi lift enuf.... just great at 75 feet and
less.  KU4HZ and NR7Z helped and all went very smoothly.  Even shot the
pine tree from the hi lift with no snagging of underbrush from way up
there!!!  de K4VUD