[TowerTalk] EWE

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] EWE
From: k6ct@earthlink.net (C.T. Morton)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 14:53:19 -0700
Just put up 160/80m EWE oriented to 45 degrees. Just like article in
QST, up 15 ft across 38 ft down 15 ft, terminated with 830 ohm resistor.
Was simple and easy to do, feed with 200 ft of RG8X.  Last nite was
first operation. On 160, use a Gladiator vertical with elevated radials,
it works great, last season, increase my 160 totals from 21 to 50,
including EU, what a blast!  Heard Tree calling CQ, he is broadside to
EWE and noticed a 3 s unit drop when listening on the EWE. Worked the
/HR on 160 and found listening was easier with 12 db pad in and QSB that
was present.  Added benefit, I have been using GAP Voyager on 80m for
some years now and worked a lot of dx. Funny thing is with EWE in
circuit, sigs are about 3 S units louder on receive. I know these are
early results but so far am happy with the effort. BTW. GAP and 160
vertical are at least 150 to 180 ft from EWE.  I remember seeing
postings in the past from sum who are pleased and others who noticed no
difference at all. Wonder why?
73
Tom