[TowerTalk] Mast Installation

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Mast Installation
From: k9rz@probe.net (Bill Jackson)
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 01:36:15 +0100
Now that the 80 ft. of Rohn 45 is installed, I'm considering the possible
antenna and mast configurations I'd like to put up. The front runner right
now is a used KT34XA already on hand stacked under a Cushcraft 402CD.  From
past posts to the reflector, it sounds as if 7 ft. seperation is the
absolute minimum spacing between these two antennas I should be
considering.  If I were to install a 20 ft. mast with the rotor mounted
between the 45AG4 top section and the standard section below it, the
seperation would more likely be 9-10 ft.  My first question is, can a 20
ft. long 1/4" wall carbon steel CD mast be SAFELY installed through the top
of the tower using a 12 ft. WB0W gin pole?

Option 2 would be to use a 10 ft. length of this mast with the rotor
mounted 3 ft. inside of the tower, with a 7 ft. spacing between the
antennas.  Am I asking for trouble here due to the lack of Z bracing on the
top 3 ft. of the top section and the amount of bending moment that may be
ecountered in this area of the top section?  The top guy bracket is
attached at the bottom of the first full set of Z braces from the top,
which is just below where the rotor shelf would normally mount.

Option 3 would be to scrap the stack idea, sell the KT34XA and go with a
Force 12 C4XL mounted just above the top of the tower using the 10 ft.
mast.

As always,your suggestions and comments are appreciated.

BTW, I have some very short scrap pieces of Phillystran HPTG4000 and
HPTG6700 cable left over from the tower project.  If you've never seen this
stuff in person and would like to receive a sample, drop me an SASE in the
mail to my callbook address and I'll be happy to send you one.

73 de Bill
k9rz@probe.net