[TowerTalk] Coax switch, TNC, and ground loop

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Coax switch, TNC, and ground loop
From: jfeustle@uoft02.utoledo.edu (jfeustle)
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 08:32:05 -0500
Many thanks to all who replied to my request for help with this problem. As
many suggested, this was indeed a ground loop problem. Working backward
from the TNC, the 2 meter rig, and power supply, I disconnected all wires,
carefully examined them, and reconnected, resoldering some of the more
suspicious ones in the process.

Out by the tower I found that our local family of racoons has taken to
using the tower as a means of access to the deck I rebuilt this past
summer. They appear to have taken a particular interest in my cables,
re-arranging several of them. Guess they are po-ed at me for not putting
back the stairs to the deck when I rebuilt it. Now, they run up the tower,
walk along a brick ledge, and leave their spoors all over that nice, clean,
new deck. Starting tonight, I'm going to carefully mark the area around the
tower as mine. That ought to throw them off at least until the CQ WW cw
contest. Ah, spoor wars. I'm up for it!

73,
Joe, N8JF