[TowerTalk] Re: Rohn TB-3 Warning

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Rohn TB-3 Warning
From: w7ni@teleport.com (Stan Griffiths)
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 02:04:17 -0800 (PST)
>>>This may not be what you wanted to hear......but you were lucky.    Those
>>>thrust bearing centering bolts were not intended to hold the vertical
>>>weight
>>>of a steel mast and maybe some beams mounted on the mast.    They are
>>>simply meant to center the mast inside the "hole" of the thrust bearing.
>>>
>>>I have stacks of monobanders mounted on a 24' mast  (14' above the tower)
>>>I use two muffler clamps above each of the two thrust bearings.   I mount
>>>them
>>>one on top of the other facing opposite directions.    The bottom muffler
>>>clamp then puts the weight of the system onto the thrust bearing.    My
>>>guess
>>>is that the weight of the mast and etc could have been  ""released""  at
>>>any
>>>time and you could have had major damage or injury.    I 'm glad that did
>>>not
>>>happen to you.
>>>
>>>73,  Jerry Liley,  K0GUG,  Holts Summit,  Missouri
>
>>This is an interesting observation.  As a Rohn Dealer, I have noticed that
>>those bolts do not seem to be the right type to "bite" into mast and still
>>keep the threads in good shape.  They are defineitely not "set screw" type
>>bolts.  I have never seen any mention of any of this in any Rohn literature,
>>however.  So, I was wondering how you came to the conclusion that the Rohn
>>TB3 bolts should not be relied upon to support the mast and antenna weight?
>>Just your own observation or did you read something from Rohn about this?  I
>>don't disagree with your conclusion, I just wonder if Rohn ever said
>>anything about using other clamps above and below the bearings to support
>>the weight.
>>
>>Stan  w7ni@teleport.com
>_____________________________________________________________________________
>I guess ignorance is bliss and I've been most blissful in not realizing that
>one shouldn't use a thrust bearing to bear thrust!  I thought that was what
>it was made for and so when I put up my 20 foot Texas Towers 3/16" galvanized
>mast on my 130 foot tower, I first drilled into the mast 120 degrees apart
>3 indentations that would allow the bolts to "bite" into the mast and support
>the weight of the mast and the TH7DX and 40-2CD that was installed thereon.
>
>I was concerned that the bolts might back out and so put nuts and jam-nuts
>on the bolts, screwed them into the indentations (not holes all the way
>through the mast) tightly, and then tightened the nuts and jam-nuts up so that
>they would not back out.  The indentations were made at some considerable
>effort because the steel was so tough that I had to use a number of high
>quality steel bits in order to get the indentations deep enough for the bolts
>to "bite".  The indentations were also made such that the bottom of the mast
>is held about 3/4" to 1" above the "resting spot" on the TT2 rotor.

> [...]

Hi Rod,

The only comment I would have is that the indentions you put in the mast are
EXACTLY at the point of maximum stress and have weakened the mast
considerably at that point.  I have no idea how to calculate how much but I
believe discontinuities in the steel like partially drilled holes act as
"stress risers" and the weakening effect is more that just a small amount of
steel that is missing.  How about one of you learned types who know about
this stuff educating us?

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com