[TowerTalk] Rohn 45 foldover questions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn 45 foldover questions
From: rnezelek@mail.netacc.net (Robert Nezelek)
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 00:13:28 -0000
I have used 25G and 45G foldover towers since 1962 and am satisfied with
their performance. Currently I have two 45G foldovers installed. One has a
KT-34XA and a M2 6M2WL installed and the other has four FO-25 432 antennas
plus four 45 element loop yagis for 1296 installed.
It is very easy to "un-tension"  the back top guy wires with the
turnbuckles and common sense maintenance on the winch is required. It is
recommended you have at least one extra person to help you when you are
tilting over the tower but it can and has been done alone. I use a
"x-cross'" brace to support the top end of the tower when it is lowered and
the antennas are being worked on. A heavy duty 12 ft or higher step ladder
is a plus when working on the arrays.
73 de Bob, W2CNS

----------
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
> Date: Wednesday, November 05, 1997 16:28
>
> I need some opinions and experiences... I'm thinking of replacing my
present 60 foot
> Rohn 25 with a 64 foot foldover Rohn 45 next spring.  My VHF-UHF stack
(single yagis
> for 50MHz thru 1296MHz) meets the windload specs and is slightly less
than the max
> weight rating of 135 pounds (including rotator, mast etc.) at the apex.
I'm thinking
> of this change mostly because I do not like to climb, maintanance and
repair on the
> yagis at the top of my mast is very difficult since they are out of reach
from the top
> of the tower and some home renovation is to be done next spring and the
timing is good
> for base, guy anchor and trench digging while the equipment is on the
property.  My
> questions; how easy/difficult is it to un-tension and detach the top set
of guys prior
> to folding over - can it be a single person job?  What type and how often
does
> maintanance need to be done on the winch, cable, foldover section etc.
Are there any
> reports of disasters/failures during the foldover process?  How does the
Rohn foldover