[TowerTalk] painted towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] painted towers
From: gdaught6@leland.Stanford.EDU (George T. Daughters)
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 15:08:12 +0008
hi all,

i just spent 3 days driving a "mini-mover" van-type thing from the
southwest up to the bay area, and it shimmied, coughed, and made
death-rattle noises, except at 55mph, where it was as smooth as silk.

so, i had time to notice towers along the route.  i first estimated that
towers that were painted red/white in alternating sections were 10
feet of white, then 10 of red, etc.  i decided i could tell the
height by counting stripes and multiplying by 10 feet.  then it
seemed like many 7-stripers were more like 140 feet high!  is there a
standard recipe for doing this?  i imagine it's specified by the faa
or somebody like that.

i also noticed that there were some pretty tall towers without paint,
while some were painted but not anywhere near an airfield.  are there
painted towers just to "cover the tails" of tower owners?  should we
*all* be painting our towers, regardless of height?

i sure am glad to be home!  see you at the paint store right after
SSfone and documenting my RFexposure values!

73,

George T. Daughters, K6GT