[TowerTalk] X9

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] X9
From: N5JA@contesting.com (Jon Barclay N5JA)
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 08:36:21 -0600
Richard L. King wrote:

> At 09:25 PM 11/19/97 -0600, you wrote:
>
> Hi Jon. Does you scope have a "B-Gate" pulse port? It is sometimes on the
> side or the back of the scope. If you do, then you can use the B-gate pulse
> as a TDR wavefront and by comparing the termination using delayed sweep, it
> is possible to check that the two antennas are in phase. That is how I used
> to do it.

Yes, but I've never thought of trying that... are you looking at the
reflected wave to see that the apparent "lengths" are the same, or something
else?

By the way, I should've said that the coax lengths should be similar to
start with, lest the phasing be correct on one band and wrong on others.
What I described should work OK to compensate for driven elements being
in offset positions, though (I'm ignoring the complications if one tribander
has a single driven element and the other has more than one, complicating
the issue-- I'd still compare them and see).

> Could an MFJ259 create enough reference signal?

I doubt you'd be able to get enough signal from an MFJ259 because...

> Do you just connect the  probe to the coax termination and see the sine
> wave at the frequency the system is for? Do you use dual sweep to compare
> the two directly?

... yes, that is what I do.  The old Tek 454 is a 150 MHz scope and they're
fairly cheap and plentiful.  Fortunately, N5XT lives less than a mile away
and can give me a reference signal using 100W into his KT34A, and I can
see nice signals using 10:1 probes at the coax terminations.  Before N5XT,
I set up a dipole at a relative's house something over a mile away and
remotely keyed the transmitter.

Oh, BTW, and the BIP/BOP references in my previous post is only applicable
to monoband applications, or to swap the phase one a single band of a triband
stack.

73,
Jon

--