[TowerTalk] 40 Meter Beams

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 40 Meter Beams
From: ab5tv@ix.netcom.com (Madison R. Jones)
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 08:37:23 -0600
Wayne Bailey wrote:

> I have a new tower installation a 110 ft Rohn 45-G with a Hygain TH-11Dx
> on top and room for a 40 meter beam.
>
> I am considering and wondering whether the extra expense for one of the
> 4 element or 3 element loaded beams such as the M2 4 element or other
> similar 4 element beams are worth the cost difference over say the
> Cushcraft 402-CD?????
>
> Any experiences positive or negative would be appreciated.  Any
> experiences concerning mechanical reliability etc of the M2 or KLM would
> be appreciated.
>
> 73 de Wayne, NX7K

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

I have had the pleasure of operating a KLM 4el40 for a couple of years
now.  It is certainly a hose to the far reaches of the world even though
half the reflector fell off awhile back in a storm.  Of course the
problem is the size and complexity of the thing - getting the reflector
back on is going to require much work by many volunteers.  It is
certainly a better antenna than the Cushcraft, but lots more complex and
heavy.  You will have many days of operating fun with the Cushcraft
while the KLM is still being assembled from the kit and being put on the
tower.

Regards,

Madison
w5mj