[TowerTalk] Optimum Height for 10M Beam

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Optimum Height for 10M Beam
From: \"Dick Green\"."<dick.green@valley.net ("Dick Green".)
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 15:55:26 -0500
I recall seeing some posts a while back about the optimum height for a 10M
beam, but I don't recall what it was. Can anybody refresh my memory? I'm
thinking about doing the ARRL 10M contest. I've got a TH7 on a 70-foot
crankup, so it's an easy task to set the tower to whatever height would be
best for 10M. I tried to get a feel for this in CQWW CW, but signals were
fading in and out so it was hard to tell. It *seemed* like 10M signals were
noticably stronger with the beam around 50 feet instead of 70 feet, but that
could be my imagination. Any thoughts? Is there a way to model this?

BTW, the bottom of the tower is on a hill about 25-30 feet below the height
of land. That puts the tribander about level with the top of the hill when
the tower is cranked all the way down to about 25 feet. The hill slopes
steeply up behind the tower in an easterly direction, from about due east to
about due south. It rises the 25-30 feet in about 200 feet of horizontal. In
the other directions, the hill slopes down from the tower, steeply at first,
losing a total of 400 feet of vertical in about 1200 feet horizontal until
it hits the Connecticut River. This leaves the horizon  wide open in all the
other compass directions.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

73, Dick, WC1M