[TowerTalk] Re: Pro97

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Pro97
From: Ron.Stordahl@digikey.com (Ron Stordahl)
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 1997 14:59:00 -0600
Chris

Your original message had no subject line, so I added Pro97which is what it
was about.

I had a Pro97 and used it successfully for many year.  I had my complaints
about it, for example the SWR curves were never as good as those in the
manual.  It was very narrow on 40 meters, but I was able by adjusting the
element lengths make it useable on 40 CAW low end.  In my original
installation I set all the bands for the low ends and it was useable on all
of them (low end) without further adjustment.  40 was the exception, but
fortunately you can reach this element from the mast.  I lowered it down to
the ground what seems like a dozen times to get it just right.  I did have a
trap fail trying to force full power into it at high SWR using an antenna
tuner.  This was on the 40 meter element.  You could smell it after opening
it.

What puzzles me is you statement that altering element lengths have no
effect.  This seems impossible.  Perhaps you can provide more details?

After using this for what may have been ten years it came down in a serious
ice storm, one which took down power poles etc and left us without
electricity for 3 days.  In a way this was good luck, it forced me to act
and get a more satisfactory antenna.

Because of the SWR problems, obviously not as serious as yours, I replaced
it with a Tennadyne 30' boom log periodic.  I couldn't be happier.

Ron N5IN