[TowerTalk] Mast Verticals

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Mast Verticals
From: n4kg@juno.com (T A RUSSELL)
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 07:26:07 -0600
Some answers...(questions below)    de  N4KG

(re:  L - network)
I used a standard 2 inch diameter coil of #14 or 16  wire fairly
closely spaced (10 or 12 turns per inch) and an air variable
capacitor with 1/4 inch spacing.  Of course, high voltage
capacitors can be made utilizing RG8 or RG213 which
exhibits approximately 30 pf / ft.  Be sure to keep the cable
under 1/8 wavelength to ensure that it remains capacitive.
Parallel lines can be used to increase capacitance.

The small diameter guy wire 6 - #18 has become more
difficult to find.  Radio Shack has some light guy wire
but it tends to rust in a few years.  RS also carries
insulators.

To prevent guy wire interaction, the spacing between
insulators needs to be sufficiently less than a half  WL
wavelength at the lowest frequency used near the guys.
On TEN meters, 11 ft is a good number.  As you noted,
this requires a LOT of insulators.   Non-conductive
non-stretch guys may be a better choice.  The smallest
size Phillystran from Texas Towers is one option.  For
masts with no large top load, perhaps a non-stretch
rope could be found.  HyGain uses a braided plastic
(I don't recall the material type) for their verticals and
may be willing to sell this separately.  Check CQ and
QST for dacron rope suppliers and ask about stretch.

I suspect the great radial debate is far from over.  I am
in the process of installing a full size 80M vertical and
radial field in my woods to compare that with my
elevated GP.  W8JI has made some field strength
measurements using a loaded vertical over an
extensive ground based radial field and an elevated
radial field.  His results favored lots of ground based
wire. This of course was measured at ground level
using the surface wave.  I am not sure if higher
wave angles will correlate directly with the surface wave.

There is an extensive study of field strength vs. number
and length of BURIED radials published in the June 1937
issue of the Proceedings of the IRE.  Other studies claim
that elevated radials or insulated radials on the ground
provide equivalent performance with fewer radials.  I'm
not sure about their methodology.  Measuring field strength
at the desired wave angles will provide the answers.
Anyone have a helicopter and LOTS of time on their hands?

de  Tom  N4KG