[TowerTalk] Physical Conditioning

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Physical Conditioning
From: force12@interserv.com (force12@interserv.com)
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 10:25:53 -0800 (PST)
Good morning.

Certainly underscore physical conditioning when planning tower climbing.
Both legs and upper body strength are important, as you are supported by
your legs, but you also hold on by upper body and hand strength.

Whenever I have the opportunity to speak at conventions or clubs, this
subject is always covered. As a stimulous for thought, I recommend that if a
person can't do at least two pull-ups in a row, extending their arms
completely straight between reps, to get into shape first!

During tower work, I use a diet of Gatorade, fig bars and water. I usually
do not eat any "regular" meal during the day.

The majority of my tower work has at least one person for a reliable ground
crew.

There are a lot of "tips" that many have to offer who do a lot of tower
work. Many are simple things that avoid problems. Hope this reflector can
accumulate a listing of them, as we all do things a bit differently, but
with saftey in mind at all times.

Hope you have an enjoyable Holiday Season and a terrific New Year!

Have a good day and 73,
                        Tom, N6BT
                        Force 12 Antennas and Systems
                        (Home Page   http://www.QTH.com/force12 )