[TowerTalk] Feeding wire log-periodics

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Feeding wire log-periodics
From: andrew@gi0nwg.demon.co.uk (Andrew Williamson)
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 1997 15:04:30 +0000
Hi all,

Recently there has been some discussion about wire log-periodics.  I
have a query regarding the feeding of such an antenna.

Let's say I mount a wire log-periodic on a rope which is attached to the
top of the tower at one end and runs to ground level some distance from
the tower at the other end (as per ARRL Antenna Book p10-8 15th
edition).

I am trying to reduce the weight at the feedpoint which in turn will
reduce the sag in the rope.  So, I'm wondering would it be OK to run
some home constructed 200 ohm open wire line from the feedpoint
vertically down to ground level where it will be attached to a 4:1 balun
and coax to the shack.

Open wire line should be much lighter than a balun with coax attached.

Has anyone done this or will this idea not work?

Vy 73,

Andrew Williamson GI0NWG / AC6WI
Homepage = http://www.gi0nwg.demon.co.uk/
Thanks to all who called me in CQWW CW when I operated GI0KOW.