[TowerTalk] 80m LPDA that works

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 80m LPDA that works
From: terry@qcislands.net (Terry Mitchell)
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 20:10:47 -0800
Please find following messages received since I reported that no one could
make the 80m LPDA work. N4ZC in NC has a few currently in use and is very
happy with them.
73
Terry, VE7TLL on NA051 'the Misty Isles'

----------
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
> Date: December 16, 1997 10:07 AM
>Hello Terry,
I don't get tower talk but N4KG sent me a copy of your message since I do
use some wire 80m LP antennas. I have never found anyone that could make
the
one as listed in the QST article/antenna book to work.

I think the problem is the height above ground.  You've just got to get
them higher than they show them. I'm a retired radio op from  the USCG
and we used a number of wire LP antennas that worked VERY WELL. The
answer is that they started from 150' towers and went down to a 20' tower
way out in front.....but, the lowest part of the wires was still over 60'
high.

When I put my first one up here, I ran it between 2 towers@45' for a
test. SWR was crazy and didn't really work that well. The towers are 120'
and 130', so 45' was just a starting test. I then took it up to about
65'......the SWR came down and the antenna was better than my 100' high
ref dipole. I next took it to 110' and it was a REAL WINNER. That one was
pointed NE for Europe/mid east/n africa. It worked so VERY WELL, I put up
another pointed W for the pacific. Another GREAT antenna. It ran from the
130' tower, with a rope off the front, over a 500' open field to a tree.
That made the lowest part of that LP about 85'

I think it was about 1987 I used those two LPs and a dipole to make #2 in
the US in the ARRL DX contest, single-band 80. A W1 beat me but they
start running
Europeans an hour and a half before we start hearing them down here. I'm
in western NC which is as far west as Ohio, not really an east coast
location. My score for that contest is still the record for W4 land
single band 80 in the ARRL DX test.

I've since added a 3rd LP pointing S. Another WINNER. This one goes from
my 100' tower to a big oak tree. Yes, it helps to have a number of high
towers. I've got 130' 120' 110' 75' and 75' towers.

I had 146 countries on 80 before I put up these LPs.....I'm up to 287 on
80 now. As with any low horizontal antenna, they don't work worth a damn
when they're low. If you can get ALL the wire above 60' I think you would
be happy.

By the way, I don't use the design as shown in the antenna book. There
were some great articles in the old Ham radio magazine back in the late
70s/early 80s, showing truncated wire LPs that didn't use such a small
taper factor. They used .845 to go from 149' to 90'. I used .91 and went
from 142' to 107'.....this gives more gain and still gives below 1.5:1
SWR from 3.5 to 4 mhz.

By the way, I've also tried 500' V beams, phased delta loops and
parasitic delta loops,  a half wave sloper system, 1/4 wave slopers, and
wire yagi antennas on 80. The wire yagi@100' was very good, but won't
cover both phone and cw parts of the band....that's why I went to the LP

I wish my towers were higher so I could try the wire LP on 160 but I
don't feel they are high enough to really do the job on that band. If you
get QST, you may have seen the May 97 issue which shows what I do on that
band with a balloon vertical. Since that article, I've added a short 30'
tower for the elevated radial system for the balloon vertical.

Well, this may be more than you needed, or wanted, but thought I'd let
you know that my LPs work really great for me.
73 Roger N4ZC

.